Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sheer Terror / Agnostic Front Live - 1988

American Legion Hall, Albany, NY, July 15, 1988. This was something of an unlikely show. Sheer Terror, a band that didn't "give a shit about your skinhead pride" and "could care less about the Lower East Side" opened for Agnostic Front, the quintessential Lower East Side skinhead band. It's amusing to hear the singer from Sheer Terror dedicate "Just Can't Hate Enough" to "all the little bastards on the Lower East Side who try to blackball us with all that Positive crap" and then later to hear Roger from AF thank Sheer Terror for playing. AF, of course, were not a "Posi" band like Youth of Today or anything, but they were "A" list NYHC scenesters that all the Posi kids loved ... and Sheer Terror hated.

The Sheer Terror tracks have much better sound quality. Something happened to the PA or to AFs equipment between sets that gave their set a sub-par recording sound quality. It's kind of odd, considering Sheer Terror were theoretically the losers who got no respect, while AF were the annointed NYHC rock stars. But whatever. Local boys Wolfpack opened the show, but I didn't have enough tape to get all three bands.

Sheer Terror

Hawk Night Intro (it's just funny to me)
Here To Stay
Ready To Halt
Only 13
Cup O' Joe
Just Can't Hate Enough
Ashes Ashes
Not Giving Up
Twisting and Turning
Roses
Burning Time
Walls

Agnostic Front

This isn't the whole set. I had to shorten one track (Society Sucker) because it was interrupted by leaving the room to puke. So, there's like 15 seconds missing from that song and I just had to kinda mix it together. I figured better that than cut it altogether. That said, I did have to cut a song or two of the AF set because the recording suffered considerably when I felt compelled to go into the pit. The recording of "Crucified" and I think one other song were irrevocably damaged.


Blind Justice/Last Warning
Strength
United and Strong
With Time (For Amy)
Victim In Pain
Society Sucker
Your Mistake
Eliminator
Anthem
Genesis
United Blood

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friend of mine has vids of Agnostic Front that he shot. Check it out on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PRETALIATION

August 25, 2006 10:18 PM  
Blogger Vinyl Head said...

I have updated this post twice since I first made it. I had a Sheer Terror song listed incorrectly as "Not Getting Up" instead of "Not Giving Up" and had to rewrite the mp3 file. Same goes for the AF "Blind Justice" mp3 , which I later realized also contained the "Last Warning" track. Some of you may want to re-download those tracks...

August 31, 2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger queenskid said...

I can't download or hear these songs. What do i have to do? email me someone garlicknot@comcast.net

January 03, 2007 3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm not sure what the problem could be I just tested the links and they seem to work...

-- Punk Obit

January 03, 2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Vinyl Head said...

queenskid wrote to say that Sheer Terror and AF are friends and always were. I may have internalized that Paul didn't like AF from an incident at Bleeker Bob's record store in the late 80s. The United Blood 7" was on the wall and I noticed it and it was priced at like $50 or something. Paul was there and said to me "it ain't worth anything" or something like that. Maybe he was just saying it was stupid that it could be sold for $50, and I just thought he hated everyone in the scene but Sheer Terror.

I didn't know Paul, but had a few strange run-ins. Once he and another member of ST (I think the drummer) prevented me and my friends from being beaten up by two of the other members of ST. My friends put on a show in Albany and unbeknownst to us, another show with Token Entry and a bunch of posi bands or something was scheduled for the same day. We had a smaller crowd than expected because of it and couldn't pay them the $300 or whatever. We only had like $180. Anyway, Paul said it was okay and kind of prevented his guitarist and bass player from getting physical.

The last incident was kind of weird, was actually on the phone, and I won't say anymore about it here because other folks are involved.

January 05, 2007 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have photos that i took at this show. actually, I only took pics during the A.F. set. I'll have to dig them up but I will try to send 'em to ya if you like.

December 29, 2009 12:44 PM  
Blogger Vinyl Head said...

Please do. I will post them and credit you as photographer (or not, as you prefer). Thank you.

December 29, 2009 2:51 PM  
Blogger Vinyl Head said...

Someone made a video of that show and posted this brief part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcQkBlzMcuc

December 29, 2009 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home