Wednesday, July 19, 2006

This Town We Own - an Albany, NY Hardcore comp

--Update 12/25/06: Merry Christmas. I just reposted these tracks after recording a copy of this 7" that was far less worn out than mine. If you downloaded these before the above date you might wanna grab 'em again. --

A classic for anyone who came up in the Albany HC scene (1991 on Rake records).

I don't think this 7" actually represents the best of these bands (stay tuned for future posts), but I was friends with a lot of the folks in some of them, so this record is very dear to my heart.

It's only a shame so many of the bands recorded their songs at the infamous (at least I think so) Highland Studios.I don't know if it is still around but back in the 80s and early 90s this crappy studio created a veritable "Albany sound" by (unfortunately) making every recording sound like it emanates from a transistor radio nestled inside a garbage can. If you’re not from Albany and think I’m joking, just check out the Albany Style Hardcore compilation posted at Middle Aged Youth.

After I uploaded these songs, I saw that Coregasm had already done so, too. My mp3s are a bit more crackly (from the original vinyl -- my usual noise reduction techniques failed me) than his, but I notice some strange buzzing on his mp3s (created during the digital conversion) so I’ll listen to mine. You can choose your poison.

Terror Cake - "Intricate"
Glee Club - "Diafraggem"
Intent - "Flaw"
Substance - "Thorn In My Side"
Vertebrae - "Jittery City"



This Town We Own 7" front cover
This Town We Own 7" back cover
This Town We Own 7" insert 1
This Town We Own 7" insert 2

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, is there any way to get the Terror Cake EP on "non-vinyl"? I can't remember what it was called. When your friend came to stay with us and got mugged outside our apartment in Wmsburg he gave us each a copy. ~aren

August 04, 2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Vinyl Head said...

I have actually moved Terror Cake's 7" to mp3 format but did not post it here because there were rumors (a year or more old now?) that TC was going to re-release their stuff on CD. If that doesn't materialize, I will contact TC and ask if it's okay to post. Meanwhile, I came across a second copy (my sister's) of This Town We Own that may be less worn out (fewer pops) than the one posted here. If so, I'll probably repost TTWO in the coming weeks. Yes, I'm that anal.

August 07, 2006 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home